Thanks for all the great work you have been doing in the garden. I hope you’ve enjoyed the year.
Work Bee Saturday morning, October 15, 2016
As often happens with me I am double booked Basketball for my son starts Saturday and I am score keeper for that first game. I’ll be at the garden about 10:30 with coffee.
Dan Sutherland will likely be at the garden, checking e-mails as asking if you are interested in returning in 2017. Check in with him on Saturday.
For those who only want to come only for coffee, come at 10:30.
Sweet pea at the Remai garden are the top priority to remove. Have fun starting with that job.
Our goal is to leave the land looking cared for. Yes you can leave your winter vegetables in the garden, or plant garlic, and such for next spring. No guaranties about the land but as you know there are no certainties with gardening, just hope.
Hope to see many of you on Saturday.
Please check the blog (nutana.ca website) periodically over the winter. this way you don’t have to rely on me getting your e-mail spelled correctly.
also you can sign up on the blog site for e-mail notifications so you don’t have to check the posting will be sent directly to you.
Thanks again for again making community gardening a reality in our neighbourhood.
Do not pile compost (weeds next to bin)
Leave weeds and compost piled in your plot when bins are full
Compost city pick up dates every 2nd friday
Still to be done:
1. remove all weeds and plant material from you plot.
2. stack tomato cages neatly. place behind shed or in shed.
3. DB only- Move wood chip on to path ways. Start now. two wheel barrels each should complete the clean up. Start at the ends of the pathway to facilitate pushing the wheel barrow. (the space by the shed should be the lowest point in the garden. (note water management around the shed is to be prioritized.)
4. Remai garden- clean you own plot and all 4 pathways adjacent to you plot. I will be flagging plots over the next week. If you plot is flagged you must meet me in person in the garden to qualify for the garden next year. (best day final work bee oct 15 9:30 until it’s done).
5. sweep sheds remove material that have no value. Remove seeds as they will attract mice.
6. Sweep sidewalks Remai (sweet pea fence) DB playground area.
7. Sweep road Darcy bear mostly. This minimises complaints from neighbours.
8. Sunflowers. Break stalks and put in to compost. a few 5-10 can be left standing in the entire garden for the winter. Then you have to remove them in the spring.
9. Wood chips are needed I will only get them if I get 30 people committed to moving them. Let me know what you want.
10. Work in the garden now don’t wait until the work bee. the bins need filling.
11. Any flagged plot can be cleaned up by volunteers. Everyone please help with this.
12 Work Bee Oct 15th starting 9:30 This is the final clean up plant to come with your eager friends. It’s ok if we finish early. If you want a garden plot next year this is when you let me know, otherwise if you’ve been Flagged you will not be assigned a plot next year.
Registration feed back from gardeners is that people prefer in person registration. This will most likely be the strategy we go back to for 2017.